Call us to set up an appointment! 225-618-8016

The Role of Insurance Coverage in the New Roads Back Surgery or Non-Surgical Care Choice

“Back surgery is one of the most overused types of surgery as well as the most common ailment that sends patients to doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists,” reports Crain’s Detroit Business magazine’s article called Health Insurers Look for Ways to Cut Costs with Back Surgery. What a way to start an article! It goes on:

  • $90 billion on low back pain alone a year
  • 1.2 million spinal surgeries a year
  • $60,000 to $110,000 per lumbar fusion surgery (the fastest-growing type of surgery in the past 10 years)

The back surgery failure rate, the so-called “failed back syndrome” or the more “politically correct” term “post-surgical continued pain syndrome,” is as high as 50%. (1) With healthcare spending in the US over $3.5 trillion - $10,739 a person – it is no wonder that insurers look for another way to cut costs, especially when one-third of the money is spent for hospital care of chronic illnesses. (2) New Roads Chiropractic Center is well-equipped and confident in offering non-hospital-based care to help New Roads back pain – chronic and acute – patients get relief of and handle their back pain – and post-surgical continued back pain - non-surgically.

LOW BACK PAIN FACTS

Low back pain is the foremost cause of years lived with disability globally. Today, guidelines for low back pain relief care discourage pain medications, steroid injections and spine surgery and encourage physical therapy and psychological therapy. Healthcare systems tend to struggle with these novel approaches. Why? Pharmaceutical companies’ financial interests, old payment systems that favor medical care, outdated traditions, and legal, personal, political, and societal beliefs of us all. These notions are shared in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, believe it or not. (3) New Roads Chiropractic Center reads this with interest.

BACK SURGERY CHOICE

Considering these facts, it’s not hard to believe that some back pain sufferers will decide on back surgery over non-surgical care of their back pain. “Patients go where insurance pays, even if it is surgery.” In one study, back pain sufferers chose to visit a primary care physician (PCP) or physical therapist (PT) or chiropractor initially based on their health plan type, co-payment, and deductible. Modifying these factors to make them more valuable/less expensive/less restrictive as to provider type might well encourage low back pain sufferers to choose non-hospital, conservative treatment instead of back surgery. (4) New Roads Chiropractic Center is all for this! Less than 1% of back pain sufferers must have back surgery. (5) New Roads Chiropractic Center is prepared to help the remaining 99% of the New Roads back pain sufferers cope with their back pain and adapt their lifestyles to be with the spine they have and cope with its episodes of pain and relief.

RECURRENT BACK PAIN

New Roads back pain sufferers are not alone if their back pain comes back. It happens. It’s controllable. It’s manageable. Some facts first: Within a year of recovery, 69% of patients experienced another episode of back pain of some sort. Awkward postures, long sitting times, and more than 2 prior back pain experiences trigger the risk of back pain recurrence. (6) It is ok though. Really! New Roads Chiropractic Center helps New Roads back pain patients find their way through these recurrences and deal with them so they don’t limit anyone’s enjoyment of life.  We have a treatment plan!

CONTACT New Roads Chiropractic Center

Listen to Dr. Kimble Cater on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson discuss how he helped an expectant mother with her repeated episodes of back pain. Whether you’re pregnant or not, New Roads chiropractic care at New Roads Chiropractic Center can help you cope with repeated episodes of back pain, too.

Schedule a New Roads chiropractic appointment at New Roads Chiropractic Center for back pain relief. Our care is not overused!  The gentle, effective, evidence-based system of Cox® Technic seeks 50% relief within 4-6 weeks of care and often delivers 70%, 80%, 90% and more for many of our patients at less cost – in terms of finances and lifestyle – than back surgery.

New Roads Chiropractic Center notes that back pain sufferers may choose their back pain treatment option based on insurance coverage. If insurance pays for back surgery, will you choose that?  
 
« View All Featured Articles
"This information and website content is not intended to diagnose, guarantee results, or recommend specific treatment or activity. It is designed to educate and inform only. Please consult your physician for a thorough examination leading to a diagnosis and well-planned treatment strategy. See more details on the DISCLAIMER page."